Seattle Summer Academy LeadSan Francisco, CA
This is a part time remote position starting immediately.
As the Seattle Summer Academy Lead, your main objectives will be filling the Seattle classroom with the next generation of Makers by driving quality applications to Seattle and ensuring top admits convert into attendees. We will provide you with all necessary materials and training and you will work closely with Make School HQ to define and achieve goals.
The Make School Summer Academy is an 8 week program targeting 13-25 year old students who spend their summer with us learning to design, code, and ship their own app or game. Last summer students came from over 30 countries with 21% of the student body belonging to a minority group underrepresented in tech. Alums who attended while in high school have gone on to study Computer Science at Stanford, MIT, Harvard, UC Berkeley, and other top schools. Alums who attended while in college have gone on to land internships at Apple, Google, Facebook, Tesla, and other top companies. Past Summer Academy locations have included San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, New York City, Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.
We aim to spread the Summer Academy experience around the country, and our growth goals are aggressive. This year we are piloting U.S. programs in Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, Washington DC, Boston, and Atlanta, while doubling our reach in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and New York City. We are looking for a Lead in each city to ensure the success of all 2017 Summer Academy locations.
What You'll Do:
- Be the face of Make School in Seattle
- Schedule and conduct Make School workshops at local high schools & universities
- Develop and execute on strategies to drive applications to Seattle and ensure application numbers are on track
- Monitor applicant progress and proactively communicate with them, helping them move forward in the admissions process from first sign of interest, to applicant, to admit, to attendee
- Provide local insights to Make School HQ (i.e. optimal classroom location, top high schools to target, etc)
- Check in with Make School HQ, weekly at minimum
What We're Looking For:
- Local to Seattle
- A leader, bonus if in the hackathon or CS student community
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communicator & public speaker
- Programming experience (any language)
- A Maker - software, hardware, non technical... anything! Show us what you've made!
About Make School
Make School was founded in 2012 to empower students to build and ship products that impact their communities. Our core products include:
Product Academy - An accelerated college replacement program for students who want a hands-on and product-oriented educational experience. The program spans two years, divided by a six-month internship at a tech startup. Students learn the Computer Science theory covered by traditional universities paired with the practical experience of building and shipping products, plus soft skills such as ethics, storytelling, and interpersonal communication. The program has no up front cost, and instead students pay tuition through internship and post-grad earnings.
Summer Academy - An eight week program where students of all ages build and ship their own iOS app or VR experience. Locations include San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, New York City, Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.
Swift CSP - Free Computer Science curriculum that teaches iOS development designed for College Board's AP Computer Science Principles course framework. Swift CSP is currently being used by high school teachers and computer science clubs around the world.