City Manager - New York CitySan Francisco, CA
The Make School Summer Academy is an 8 week program targeting 13-25 year old students who spend their summer with us learning to design, code, and ship their own app or game. Last summer students came from over 30 countries with 21% of the student body belonging to a minority group underrepresented in tech. Alums who attended while in high school have gone on to study computer science at Stanford, MIT, Harvard, UC Berkeley, and other top schools. Alums who attended while in college have gone on to land internships at Apple, Google, Facebook, Tesla, and other top companies. Locations have included San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, New York City, Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.
New York City is one of our highest growth potential locations. We are looking for a City Manager to start immediately to ensure the success of our 2017 NYC Summer Academy. Make School has developed numerous resources to support you including marketing materials and strategy, an admissions team, full curriculum, and instructor training.
This position may be full-time, part-time, or contract-to-hire.
What You'll Do:
- Be the face of Make School in New York City
- Reach potential applicants through school visits, hackathons, events, partnerships, and other local marketing efforts
- Support HQ's initiatives to increase the diversity of our applicant pool through local events and partnerships
- Manage budget and expenses
- Identify and negotiate classroom space
- Identify relevant partnership opportunities with local companies
- Assist HQ in sourcing local instructor candidates
What We're Looking For:
- Comfortable in an autonomous position and communicating remotely with the core team
- A strong local network and pulse on the tech and/or education community
- A strong passion for education, Computer Science focused a plus
- Start date & duration are negotiable
About Make School
Make School was founded in 2012 to empower students to build and ship products that impact their communities. Our core products include:
Product Academy - An accelerated college replacement program for students who want a hands-on and product-oriented educational experience. The program spans two years, divided by a six-month internship at a tech startup. Students learn the Computer Science theory covered by traditional universities paired with the practical experience of building and shipping products, plus soft skills such as ethics, storytelling, and interpersonal communication. The program has no up front cost, and instead students pay tuition through internship and post-grad earnings.
Summer Academy - An eight week program where students of all ages build and ship their own iOS app or VR experience. Locations include San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, New York City, Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.
Swift CSP - Free Computer Science curriculum that teaches iOS development designed for College Board's AP Computer Science Principles course framework. Swift CSP is currently being used by high school teachers and computer science clubs around the world.