Full Stack Web Instructor and Curriculum EngineerSan Francisco, CA
We’re looking for a full stack developer to develop and teach the web development portion of Make School’s Product Academy.
Make School’s Product Academy is a 2-year higher education program for aspiring software engineers and founders. Students spend two years learning computer science foundations, software engineering, and product development through a blend of project-based learning and industry experience. Unlike traditional university, students have zero upfront cost for the program; instead they pay tuition through earnings.
Your work will serve as the foundation for the Make School educational experience as we scale from 50 students to 5,000 students and beyond. By joining our team, you’ll be creating the blueprint for the future of higher education.
Our curriculum will be open sourced -- parts are already used by MIT and Carnegie Mellon as well as by tens of thousands of students online. You’ll have the unique opportunity to engage and inspire young software engineers face-to-face as well as to inspire those across the world.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and deliver Make School's web development curriculum
- Teach mastery of core web technologies and development practices
- Spend 40% of your time time in the classroom, helping students with projects, and identifying areas of need
- Spend 30% of your time working with the Curriculum Team building and updating content
- Spend 30% of your time working on open source projects, attending hackathons, building internal tools, etc.
What We're Looking For:
- Passion for teaching and mentoring developers
- A strongly held belief that students learn best through guided, hands-on experience
- Strong understanding of development best practices (TDD, version control, design patterns, performance), math principles (calculus and statistics), CS principles (algorithms and data structures), and advanced CS concepts
- A positive impact on the people around you
- We are open to applicants with expertise in at least two major languages and frameworks on: Python, Flask, Ruby, Sinatra, Rails, Node, SQL & NoSQL databases, JS Frameworks, HTML/CSS
Become a Better Developer and Teacher:
- Receive expert training in research-driven teaching techniques
- Contribute to open source projects and attend hackathons for free
- Explore the latest tools and technologies
- Teaching is the path to mastery!
Grow Your Professional Network:
- Networking opportunities with Make School's Corporate Partners including LinkedIn, Lyft, and MindBodyOnline
- Our team is a family: join us for regular networking events, city outings, company game nights, etc.
About Make School
Make School was founded in 2012 to empower students to build and ship products that impact their communities. Our core products include:
Product College - An accelerated college replacement program for students who want a hands-on and product-oriented educational experience. The program spans two years, divided by a six-month internship at a tech startup. Students learn the Computer Science theory covered by traditional universities paired with the practical experience of building and shipping products, plus soft skills such as ethics, storytelling, and interpersonal communication. The program has no up front cost, and instead students pay tuition through internship and post-grad earnings.
Summer Academy - An eight week program where students of all ages build and ship their own iOS app or VR experience. Locations include San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Los Angeles, New York City, Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.
Swift CSP - Free Computer Science curriculum that teaches iOS development designed for College Board's AP Computer Science Principles course framework. Swift CSP is currently being used by high school teachers and computer science clubs around the world.